Well, fortunately I have a very flexible work schedule -- uh, just don't tell that to my fellow co-workers -- and I was able to participate in Gianna's first day at (real) school. The verdict?
Magic.
She took it all in stride like a pro -- no apprehension, nervousness or fear. Just pure excitement.
And, wow -- have things changed. I'm filling out the contact form and they have a line for the kid's cell phone...
Up early for the big day, she had her clothes lined up and ready to wear.
Photos went quickly, and dashed off to class. Violetta urgently tried to get to the jungle gym while we waited for the teachers, with Liz catching up on the summer's activities with old friends from pre-school (not hers, but you get the picture).
Gianna stood quietly, in anticipation...
I watched on with pride as she introduced herself to new friends (and their parents), including the kid who loved Star Wars -- I don't think anything else came out of his mouth -- as his mom looked on, embarrassed (Mom, if you're reading this: I'm sorry. I was just a kid, but those movies were so cool...). I reassured her that it wasn't a big deal -- just imagine the same thing, but with Princesses as the main topic. As the father of two girls, I found it quite refreshing.
And as soon as things began, time was up for the first day. She said her goodbyes to new friends and we walked off to home (fortunately, only a couple of minutes away).
Well, she's asleep now, but already has her clothes lined up for tomorrow -- she's ready to go.
It's great to step back and think about days like today -- they come so infrequently but are remembered with fondness. I'm so grateful for the fantastic little girl that Gianna's become, and I look forward to future milestones, being a part of some while watching with a proud eye at the others.
Okay, back to work -- only 12.7 years left to save for college, and she's got her eye on Stanford of late (thanks for that one, Dad)...
A few pics below...
No comments:
Post a Comment